The whole world agrees that proteins are without question needed for optimal health and performance. As we all know, whey is a liquid byproduct of milk and is found in the form of powder. It is used in shakes and protein bars because it contains the 9 essential amino acids which our body cannot produce by itself. Furthermore, it can be quickly digested as well. But as it is not a whole food, that is why it has to be taken cautiously. Like all things, excessive usage of whey can also cause negative effects.
So make an informed decision on whether to use whey protein or not and in what amounts, let us look, at its pros and cons.
1. Aiding weight loss:
It makes you feel fuller and provides your body with good nutrients only. Also, weight loss is the most common reason why people order whey protein online Australia
2. Anti-cancer properties:
Whey also has anti-cancer characteristics. The Anticancer Research journal published that whey has good results when used in cancer treatment.
3. Lowering cholesterol:
The British Nutrition Journal published that these supplements also lower cholesterol levels. They studied 70 men as well as women for around 12 weeks to measure there lipid alongside insulin levels and found a noteworthy decrease in overall cholesterol in grouped that consumed whey.
Another study in children done by the International Journal of Food Science and Nutrition discovered that children who take 10 grams of whey protein twice a day saw improvements in the immune response.
5. Blood pressure as well as cardiovascular disease:
As per International Dairy Journal research, whey proteins also reduces blood pressure in patients having hypertension. Those who consumed whey had a lesser risk of increasing heart disease.
6. Reduction in weight loss in people suffering from HIV:
“The journal Clinical and Investigative Medicine” revealed through another study that whey protein can cause a decrease in weight loss in HIV-positive patients. It helps to slow down the process of body deterioration.
7. Muscle building
Whey protein not only leads to fitness by helping in weight loss; it also helps in improving muscle protein synthesis. It helps in the promotion of the growth of lean tissue mass. As per the International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism publication whey protein is taken when in resistance training offers is beneficial than resistance training conducted alone. It concluded that those who are supplemented with whey protein also gain greater relative in lean tissue mass.
8. Enhanced muscle recovery:
As whey provides you with EAA supplements, it leads to a decrease in muscle damage as it helps the muscle to recover faster. Improved muscle growth not only leads to enhanced strength and performance but also leads to quicker healing of wounds.
9. Improved immunity
The benefits of whey are not just limited to muscles, but they also help to build hormones, neurotransmitters, and antibodies. This leads to the overall strengthening of your body system, reducing the risk of major diseases. It strengthens the bones as well and is rich in anti-oxidants
10. Convenient and complete
Whey provides you with high-quality protein in one go. It is the only food that offers all nine essential amino acids in a convenient and complete form. It is in the form of powder and can be added to anything, thus making its use flexible. You can take it pre-workout if you want to gain energy without digesting food.
1. Stomach pains and Cramps: High doses of whey can be harmful to the stomach. It can lead to pains and cramps as our digestive system goes out of balance
2. Allergies: People who are allergic to milk can be allergic to whey. If you are lactose intolerant, then whey won’t be beneficial for you as it contains lactose. If you have a milk protein allergy and if it is not only related to casein, even then whey can cause negative side effects.
3. Processed food: Whey is not a wholesome food as it is processed and packaged. It is a byproduct, and the proteins can be denatured, which is not a good thing. The high heat used to process it can be harmful to you.
4. Acne: High doses of whey taken consistently can also lead to acne. It might not be good for the skin and can scar your skin badly, especially if you have allergies!
5. Simply a vehicle for sugars. As it is itself flavorless, it has to be added to something. Thus most of the whey powders have additives in order to mark it palatable. These sugary components can be harmful and are quite unnecessary. So it is better to go for plain whey protein and add it to natural ingredients to enjoy it!
Whey might have many pros, but like other supplements, Whey protein has a suitable time as well as place. As there are two sides to the coin, you have to ensure that you don’t get on Whey’s wrong side. This can be done by taking it in a well-balanced way to get optimal results. A fixed amount, such as one scoop per day, can be taken for constant results without any negative consequences. Ensure that you take it regularly in small amounts rather than huge doses which can be harmful. When taken cautiously, it brings nothing but good for your body!